I recently came across a great presentation on growth and improving your chances of success from Sean Ellis. I have embedded the presentation below but wanted to highlight some of the key points:
- The most important question to determine the strength of your product and particular features is whether it is a must-have product; that is to say: Can they live without it? For further granularity, you can ask the same question of particular features. To get to this level of understanding your customers, you should ask, “How would you feel without your game?” and examine what is the primary benefit players receive and why is your game important to them.
- You need to understand if the player is having a must-have experience, why they are playing (or not) and blockages in the conversion process.
- Set up a trigger that if someone is about to abandon making a purchase, pop up a question asking what (if anything) is stopping them from completing the purchase.
- You are not looking for statically significant results but inspiration for new features and tests.
- Use this research to list key customer intent, friction to solve and then determine and script your AB tests.
- There is always a better way of doing things, so you must continually repeat this process of understand your players, prioritizing planning and testing/analyzing.
Although these rules seem simple, implanting them should form the foundation of your development and growth strategy. The better you understand your player, and focus your development and marketing on what they want, the faster you will grow your game. Below is the full presentation:
2 thoughts on “How to build for and accelerate growth”
I’ve been following your blog for a while Lloyd and you are always posting relevant, ‘must have’ content that keeps me coming back for more. Thanks for writing!
Thanks Keith; it is comments like these that keep me writing. I appreciate it.